Blended learning: UGC panel suggests up to 40% teaching via online mode

(This story originally appeared in on May 22, 2021)

Learning in higher educational institutions is set for a paradigm shift if they implement the University Grants Commission’s proposal on blended learning which proposes up to 40% of teaching in any course through the online mode.

UGC’s draft on ‘Blended Mode of Teaching and Learning’, which has been put in public domain for suggestions from various stakeholders till June 6, envisages a scenario where students can pick teachers and timings; frame their own courses; design degrees; and study through any mode with learning and examinations literally on demand.

The concept note has been prepared in accordance with the new National Education Policy 2020 (NEP-2020) which gives acceptability to many modes of learning, including face-to-face, online learning and distance or virtual mode.

“The UGC had decided that HEIs should be allowed to teach up to 40% of each course through online mode and the remaining 60% can be taught in offline mode. Exams for teaching under both modes can be conducted online,” said UGC Secretary Rajnish Jain.

The draft said, “The advantages of blended learning for students include increased learning skills, greater access to information, improved satisfaction and learning outcomes, and opportunities both to learn with others and to teach others.”

“Blended learning is not a mere mix of online and face-to-face mode, but it refers to a well-planned combination of meaningful activities in both the modes. The blend demands consideration of several factors, mainly focussing on learning outcomes and the learner-centred instructional environment,” said the draft prepared by an expert panel.

Defining the role of teachers in blended learning, it said, “Blended learning shifts the teacher’s role from knowledge-provider to coach and mentor. This shift does not mean that teachers play a passive or less important role in students’ education. Quite the contrary—with blended learning, teachers can have an even more profound influence and effect on students’ learning.”

0 0 votes
Notify of
0 评论
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments